Looking for work with a purpose?
Women and men of unquestionable integrity and the desire to serve their communities with a career in law enforcement are encouraged to explore the challenging and rewarding positions within the Iowa DPS.
Presently, the application window is closed.
Subscribe to the DPS Interested Applicant Email Group to receive updates regarding future Academy application processes!
- Am I Qualified?
- Essential Physical Job Tasks and Functions
- The Hiring Process
- DPS Academy
- Vision and Hearing Standards for Peace Officer Applicants
- Out-of-State/Military Applicants
- Still Have Questions? (ALSO SEE THE VIDEO Q&A BELOW)
Salary and Benefits
- Exceptional Retirement (SEE PEACE OFFICER RETIREMENT SYSTEM BELOW)
- Retirement Investors' Club (Deferred Compensation)
- HR Information for Employees
- Veterans Preference Points
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Fleet take-home vehicle assigned to Trooper 2 and Special Agent 2 (DCI) officers
- Uniforms, equipment and firearms provided
- Uniform cleaning allowance
- Promotional opportunities
Peace Officer Retirement System
As a law enforcement officer with DPS, you will become a member of the Peace Officer’s Retirement, Accident and Disability System (POR). POR is a traditional “defined benefit” pension plan that allows employees the opportunity to retire as early as 50 years of age and/or with up to 88% of their final average pay. Benefits grow throughout your POR-covered employment as your salary and years of service increase. Your retirement with POR will provide a lifetime benefit for you and for your family. POR benefits also offer financial protection for you and your family if the event of death or disability.
Specialty Unit Opportunities
Join The Team That Protects Iowans
Check out this video to get your key questions answered, learn more about who we are, what we do and how you can join our team!
DPS is a Home Base Iowa Employer
DPS recognizes that the strong skill sets veterans acquire while in the military are of great value and highly transferable to both peace officer and civilian positions within the Department. Through Home Base Iowa, DPS is afforded the opportunity to connect with those veterans who want to make Iowa their home. Working together, Home Base Iowa and DPS can make veteran's employment aspirations become a reality.
Why relocate to Iowa?
The State of Iowa is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer