Iowa State Patrol District #12
22365 20th Ave
Stockton IA 52769
District 12, as we know it now, was originally District 9 and was located in the Bank Building in West Liberty in 1937. The district commander was Sergeant Edgar Faber #68 and was responsible for overseeing ten troopers. While in West Liberty, the office was also located in the Steen Building and eventually relocated to the West Liberty City Hall. In 1946, it was designated District 12 and was comprised of Cedar, Clinton, Jackson, Jones, Muscatine and Scott counties. Another significant change occurred in 1957 when the district commander was changed to the rank of Lieutenant.
In 1960, the District 12 Headquarters was relocated to the basement of the DeWitt Public Library and City Hall. Then in 1970, the office moved to a new facility located near the interchange of Interstate 80 and Interstate 74 in Davenport due to the development of the interstate system. In 1994, the Iowa State Patrol purchased a 20-acre property adjacent to Interstate 80 near Stockton. A new facility was completed in 1996 and serves as the current home of District 12. The building is also utilized by the Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI), Division of Narcotics Enforcement (DNE), and the State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFM).
District 12 troopers have responded to both man-made and natural disasters over the years. Some of the notable events are the security details in 2001 for critical infrastructures associated with the attacks of September 11, 2001,the 2007 tornado in Muscatine County, the floods of 2008, and the rerouting of traffic on Interstate 80 as a result of the Mississippi Bridge inspection and repairs in 2009, .
One member of District 12 has died in the line of duty, Oran Pape. He was shot while attempting to apprehend a car thief near Fairport on April 28, 1936.